The following FAQs are mainly for LLB students, but may also answer most of the questions from current JD, MCL, and LLMs students.  If in doubt, please contact the administrative coordinator of your programme for assistance.

[Last update: 20 July 2015]

1. Academic Advising

We understand that you may have many questions, about your academic study, about choosing courses, about how to make the best academic plans and to get the most out of university life.  You will need a lot of information and advice to make these decisions, to plan your study and achieve your future career goals. The role of Academic Advising is to give you help and support in developing these academic and career plans, exploring different options and achieving your ultimate goals.

Please visit Academic Resources Support Centre >> Academic Advising for more information.

At the University Level, the Academic Advising Office (AAO) is happy to provide service and general support to students about degree requirements, academic regulations and cross-faculty learning opportunities.

Address: Room 07, Upper Ground Floor, Knowles Building, HKU
Contact no. 2219 4686
Email: aaoffice@hku.hk
Web Appointment: http://booking.aao.hku.hk

All first year undergraduate students are required to meet with their Faculty Academic Adviser at least once every semester. You are also free to seek advice from your Faculty Academic Adviser whenever you need assistance. Please make an appointment with your Faculty Academic Adviser via email.

Q: What you can expect from your Academic Adviser?

  • Provide support to your transition to the University
  • Advise and answer questions on academic matters
  • Guide you in developing your academic goals and study and career plans
  • Discuss your academic performance and progress and the implication of it to your future plans (career or postgraduate studies)
  • Care about your academic success
  • Make effective referrals and direct you to other sources of advice
  • Respect your privacy

Q: Students’ Responsibility – What your Academic Adviser will expect of you?

  • Take initiative to contact your Faculty Academic Adviser for advice and help when needed
  • Collect the information already available and be familiarized with the requirements of your own curriculum
  • Be well prepared for each advising meeting:
    •  Think about your academic, career and personal goals
    • Consider your study plans /intended course enrollment or other issues you may wish to discuss with your Academic Adviser
    • Be willing to seek guidance and to consider advice and comments open-mindedly
  • To follow up on referrals provided to you
  • To accept responsibility for decisions and take ownership

We hope you can make the most out of the academic advising resources.

2. Assessment and Examination

Unless teacher in a particular course instructs otherwise, you should submit all coursework and written assignments through Moodle in HKU Portal.

Note also that students are required to attach to all assignments or take-home exams a cover sheet containing a declaration (to be signed by the submitting student) that the rules pertaining to plagiarism have been complied with fully.  Obviously, students must not attempt to submit the same piece of written work in more than one course.  Please see ARSC >>  "Plagiarism" and "Instructions for Submission via Moodle".

Please refer to the website of Examinations Office for details.

Timetable for 1st semester examinations: available in mid-November

Timetable for 2nd semester examinations: available in April

Examination timetables for individual programmes are available on the website of the Examinations Office.

You may view your personalized examination timetable at the HKU Portal >> SIS >> Self Service >> Other Self Service >> Examinations Timetable. Copies of the examination timetables are also posted on Faculty noticeboards for students' reference. It should however be noted that, under special circumstances, amendments to the examination timetables would occasionally be made after the first publication of the timetables.  Students should therefore consult the online examination timetables on the web site of the Examinations Office regularly for any possible amendments to their examination timetables.

Past examination papers of some courses are available to HKU students in the online ExamBase (HKU Portal login required) created and maintained by the University Libraries.

If you are unable to take a written examination according to the scheduled date, you must write at your earliest opportunity to the Examinations Office who will seek the recommendations from the Chief Examiner(s) concerned on your request.  Approval MUST be sought before the original date of the examination.  Special arrangement will be made only under exceptional circumstances.

If you are unable to be present at the written examination of a course due to illness, you may apply for permission to sit for a supplementary examination of the same course.  You should make your application to the Examinations Office in writing and submit a completed “Form of Medical Certificate” to the University Health Service within 14 days of the first examination you were unable to attend.  Late submission will not be considered by the Board of Examiners.  The Board will determine whether you will be permitted to sit for a supplementary examination, and you will be informed of such arrangement by the Faculty and relevant department.

The Board of Examiners meets in January and June every year to determine examination results.

Announcement of results of 1st semester examinations: in January (during the add-drop period)

Announcement of results of 2nd semester examinations: in June (together with honours classification for graduating class)

Announcement of results of summer semester examinations: in August (for JD students) / in September (for other students)

The Faculty Office will inform you of the exact date of announcement of examination results by email at the end of the assessment period.  You may check your examination results at the HKU Portal >> SIS >> “Academic Records” >> “View My Grades” from the announcement date onwards.

If you fail a course, you will be required to make up for failed courses in the manner as determined by the Board of Examiners. You will receive further instructions from the Faculty Office when the examination results are announced.

There are no appeals against the results of examinations and all other forms of assessment (General Regulation G9(h)).  You may however request checking of assessment results on grounds of procedural irregularities or calculation mistake.  You should complete the application form (to be made available to students by email at the end of the assessment period) and return it with the receipt of payment to the application (HK$200 for each assessment) to our General Office within two weeks after the announcement of examination results.  No late request will be entertained. For further information, please see the “Procedures for Checking of Assessment Results of Taught Courses”.

Unless otherwise indicated by the course teacher, if a candidate submits an item of assessable coursework after the required completion date, the examiner(s) shall award a grade for such coursework but subject to the imposition of a penalty (unless late submission was due to illness or other acceptable reason), which penalty shall involve the immediate deduction of 3 per cent of the full grade of the coursework for failing to submit by the required completion date and time and the deduction of a further 3 per cent of the full grade of the coursework for every additional day later thereafter.

3. Credit Accumulation and Transfer

Advanced standing is granted for approved studies completed prior to admission to the University.  Students are not required to complete any further courses for those requirements for which they have been granted advanced standing.  Advanced standing credits granted will be recorded on the transcript of the student but will not be included in the calculation of the semester GPA, year GPA or cumulative GPA nor be taken into consideration for the honours classification of the degree to be awarded.

Credit Transfer is granted for courses completed on exchange at other institutions during candidature at HKU.  The number of transferred credits may be recorded in the transcript of the candidate, but the results of courses completed at other institutions shall not be included in the calculation of the GPA.  The number of credits to be transferred shall not exceed half of the total credits normally required under the degree curricula of the candidates during their candidature at the University.

Course exemption is granted from particular course or curriculum requirements under special conditions (e.g. students being exempted from the Chinese language enhancement requirement due to not having studied the Chinese language previously or not having attained the standard required to take the Chinese language course).  Students must take other course(s) the same credit value to replace the relevant number of exempted credits.

For LLB students:

The maximum number of credits of advanced standing and/or credit transfer is 120 credits, and that to be eligible to be considered for award of a first degree, a student must:

  1. Complete a minimum of two semesters of study at this University; and
  2. Accumulate, through study at this University or credit transfer, at least half the number of credits of the degree curriculum normally required for award of the degree.

For JD students:

The maximum number of credits of advanced standing is 12, where such a course is or such courses are completed no more than 5 years prior to the student’s commencement of the JD programme.

4. Curriculum, Course Selection and Enrolment

You may go to Academic Resources Support Centre >> Regulations, then select the appropriate degree and year of intake for details.

In addition to the degree regulations, students are also required to follow the General Regulations (applicable to all students) and Regulations for First Degree Curricula (applicable to undergraduate students) of their intake year.

The Academic Advising Office announces and provides a quick summary of dates for course selection and add-drop period.  Please also read the following course selection guidelines for reference:

You are required to select courses for both 1st and 2nd semesters in the course selection period as prescribed in the above course selection guidelines.  The first two weeks at the start of each semester are the add-drop period which you may make changes to your course selection. (Note: For intensive courses, the add-drop deadline is within the first two classes of the course.)  Please follow the instructions given in the course selection guidelines for requesting course selection / add-drop.  No further amendment of course enrolment can be made after the add-drop period, and you are required to attend lectures / tutorials according to your course enrolment.

You may visit the Academic Resources Support Centre >> Courses for the list of courses offered in each semester and details of each course.

The timetable and class venues of law core courses are available online at Academic Resources Support Centre >> Timetables.

Please check Campus Map for locations of buildings and Examinations Office for abbreviations and locations of classrooms.

For LLB students:

The normal study load is 60 credits per academic year*.

You are normally required to take 30 credits in a semester, except the summer semester** (where the normal load is 6-12 credits), or the last semester of study when you may be required to take fewer than 24 credits to satisfy the outstanding curriculum requirements.  You are permitted to enrol at maximum an additional 6 credits in a semester, and/or further credits during the summer semester**, accumulating up to a maximum of 72 credits in an academic year.

You must seek prior approval from our General Office if you wish to take credits more or less than the permitted study load during a semester or an academic year, provided that the total number of credits taken does not exceed the maximum curriculum study load of 288 credits for the normative period of four years study, or 300 credits for a normative five year period.  You must also seek prior approval to take summer courses outside HKU.  Please contact the administrative coordinator of your programme for further details.

For JD students:

The normal study load for JD1 student is 66 credits (i.e. 36 credits in 1st semester* and 30 credits in the 2nd semester*).

The normal study load for JD2 student is 78 credits (i.e. 30 credits in each of the two regular semesters*, 12 credits in the June semester*, and a 6-credit dissertation).

You must seek prior approval from the General Office if your study plan deviates from the one suggested above.  Please contact the administrative coordinator of your programme for further details.

For all LLM students:

We require ALL LLM students to enrol in at least ONE module in every regular semester*.

For full-time students, you are suggested that you enrol in 4 modules in each regular semester*, and a total of 8 modules in an academic year*.

For part-time students, you are suggested that you enrol in 2 modules in each regular semester*, and a total of 4 modules in each of the two academic years* of study.


  • Full-time non-local LLMs students are not suggested to take any June semester* courses if they plan to apply another visa for staying in Hong Kong after completion of study, as June semester course will not be available until after September and without their final grades the Immigration Department will not process for their visa applications.
  • Full-time local or part-time non-final year LLMs students may spread their study load by taking 1 June semester* course, i.e. total no. of modules completed is still 8.

You must seek prior approval from the General Office if your study plan deviates from those suggested above.  Please contact the administrative coordinator of your programme for further details.

For MCL students:

You should enrol in at least 48 credits of courses, of which at least 30 credits of courses are chosen from “Common Law course list”, in this academic year.


* An ‘academic year’ comprises two regular semesters, with dates as prescribed by the Senate each year.  The Department of Law may organise ‘January semester’ and ‘June (summer) semester’ in addition to the two regular semesters.

** Students are normally not allowed to take summer course(s) in their final-year of study.

You cannot drop a course after the designated add-drop period.  If you have an exceptional reason(s) for doing so, you should submit a formal written application to the administrative coordinator of your programme with supporting document(s) at your earliest opportunity.

You are advised to follow the study plan as prescribed in the syllabuses.  If, due to exchange studies, you wish to change the order of study of any core course(s), Common Core course(s) or specific requirements listed in the syllabuses, you should seek prior recommendation from the Director of Outgoing Exchange Programme at the earliest opportunity to discuss for changes to enable or as a result of exchange.  You should also attach copies of supporting documents to your application.

You can select your tutorial groups in our tutorial group selection system at the beginning of each semester.  Please refer to the email announcements from our General Office to your @connect.hku.hk account nearer the time.

Our General Office will try to accommodate your preference as much as possible, and will notify you the result of the tutorial group allocation within the first week of the semester.  If you need to change your tutorial group(s), you should complete the “Application for Change of Tutorial or Seminar Group” form and return it to our General Office by the end of the add-drop period.

You can declare your choice of specialisation, if any, via SIS of the HKU Portal and have it stated in the official academic transcript if you complete at least 36 credits of law electives in the following categories:

  • Chinese law
  • Commercial, corporate and financial law
  • International trade and economics law

Lists of courses in the respective categories are available in the Syllabuses.  Nonetheless, you should note that those courses will not be necessarily offered every year.  You can declare your choice of specialisation in the beginning of your third academic year.  Declaration made beyond the 1st semester of the fourth academic year will not be considered.

Please also refer to “Student’s Quick Reference Guide on Major / Minor Declaration” (HKU Portal login required).

You can declare a minor in other discipline, if any, via SIS of the HKU Portal and have it stated in the official academic transcript by completing the requisite courses and number of credits as prescribed in the syllabuses for a degree curriculum by the offering departments.

You can declare your minor in the beginning of your second academic year.  Declaration made beyond the 1st semester of the fourth academic year will not be considered.

Please also refer to “Student’s Quick Reference Guide on Major / Minor Declaration” (HKU Portal login required).

5. Faculty Resources for Students

Our Academic Resources Support Centre (ARSC) serves as a one-stop information centre for HKU Law Students.  You may find useful information, e.g. regulations and syllabuses of your degree, timetable of courses, notices of seminars and career talks, recommended booklists and many more in ARSC.

Our General Office has prepared the “Student Pamphlet for First Year Undergraduate Student” to introduce to you your responsibilities and resources available as a law student in HKU.  Please do take some time to read it through.

Our Careers Resource Centre is a law student-centred platform providing resources from career talk schedule, latest market news, job vacancies to list of law firms.  Through a wide range of activities, we strive to provide vast opportunities for students to develop independent learning attitude and professional skills in launching a rewarding career.

The Social Justice Summer Internship (SJSI) is a credit-bearing programme.  Students will be assigned with a community partner to work on a specific research project under supervision for a period of around 160 hours (or approximately 4 weeks) in the period of June-July.  On completion of the programme, a pass / fail grade will be given but it is not taken into account for honours classification. 

Statutory Minimum Wage does not apply to student interns and work experience students during a period of exempt student employment.  If you are required by your employer to provide a document issued by the University confirming your student intern status or student status for “work Experience student” for the exemption from Statutory Minimum Wage, you may come to our General Office during office hours with the offer letter of your internship and your student card for assistance.

6. Grades, GPA, Honours Classifications, Discontinuation of Study

The grades, their standard and the grade points for assessment are as follows:

Grade Standard Grade Point
A+ Excellent 4.3
A Excellent 4.0
A- Borderline Excellent 3.7
B+ Very Good 3.3
B Good 3.0
B- Borderline Good 2.7
C+ Very Satisfactory 2.3
C Satisfactory 2.0
C- Borderline Satisfactory 1.7
D+ Pass 1.3
D Borderline Pass 1.0
P Pass 0*
F Fail 0

* For student who has taken any credit bearing course with the assessment on a Pass/Fail basis, no grade point will be achieved from such category of course. However, the credits gained will be counted to fulfil the credit requirements for graduation.

“Grade Point Average” (GPA) is a numerical measure of a candidate’s academic achievement over a specified period of time, and is calculated by the total of the product of grade points earned for each course attempted (including failed courses) and its credit value being divided by the total number of credits attempted:

   GPA = (  ∑i Course Grade Point × Course Credit Value )  /  ( ∑i Course Credit Value)

(where ‘i‘ is the number of all passed and failed courses taken by the student over a specified period)

There are five divisions of honours classifications. The Board of Examiners determine in its meeting the honours classification for the degree with the following Cumulative GPA scores, with all courses taken (including failed courses) carrying equal weighting:
Class of honours
CGPA range
First Class Honours
3.60 – 4.30
Second Class Honours
(2.40 – 3.59)
            Division One
3.00 – 3.59
            Division Two
2.40 – 2.99
Third Class Honours
1.70 – 2.39
1.00 – 1.69

The Board of Examiners may recommend, under the provision of General Regulation G12 and corresponding regulations for the respective programme, that students who do not perform satisfactorily be required to discontinue their studies.

If you are required to discontinue your studies, you will be interviewed by the Faculty Review Committee (FRC) before your case is considered by the University’s Committee on Discontinuation (COD).  If you have any study problems, please seek help early!  Please make an appointment with your academic adviser / programme director / administrative coordinator of your programme.  We are here to help!

7. Other Important Matters

You are given a computer account, identified uniquely by a HKU Portal UID (User Identification) and an associated PIN (Personal Identification Number), for accessing a wide range of network services and applications conveniently and communicating with your fellow students and other members of the University.

The University and our General Office will disseminate important information and notices concerning your academic studies, upcoming seminars and events, internship opportunities etc. directly to and only to your @connect.hku.hk account.  You are therefore reminded to visit the HKU Portal and check your emails in the @connect.hku.hk account regularly via the “MyEmail” tab of the HKU Portal.

The pigeon holes are located on Ground Floor of Cheng Yu Tung Tower.  You are advised to check your pigeon hole daily for any distributed materials, lecture outlines, etc.  Please be reminded that you will have to pay a fee for course materials: HK$100 per course and you will receive a debit note from the Finance and Enterprises Office via the HKU Portal when it is ready.

You will receive a soft copy of the student invoice in mid-September by way of an e-mail attachment to your @connect.hku.hk e-mail account from the SIS, which is the balance of the first instalment, and pay the sum specified on or before the invoice due date.  Students who have provided their mobile phone numbers in the SIS will receive a SMS message in parallel.  The soft copy of the student invoice is also available for download through the SIS in HKU Portal.

You must take note of the following important points:

  1. You must ensure that you input the correct “Bill Account No.” as specified in the student invoice when making payment, and you should also retain a copy of the transaction advice produced from the bank machines (or acknowledgement of bank payment reference number if using internet banking) as proof of payment.
  2. Payment-by-Phone Service (PPS) is not applicable for new students making first-time fee payment.  Please refer to the instructions at the end of the student invoice for other payment methods.
  3. A student is liable to pay the annual composition fee even though he/she withdraws from studies later in the academic year.
  4. University fees, once paid, cannot be refunded.
  5. If, for any reason, you are unable to pay fees by the due date, you must contact the Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS) before the due date to apply for permission to defer payment.
  6. A student who has not paid his/her fees within 30 days after the due date shall be de-registered and shall be prohibited from using University facilities and services.  To subsequently re-instate student status, the student will have to pay a surcharge of 10% of the outstanding fees, or $500, whichever is the lesser.  The student may additionally be required to compensate the University for any loss of interest for any late payment or non-payment of fees.

Please visit Academic Development and Quality Assurance Section >> Student Registration and Records >> Student Registration Cards and follow the instructions for application for replacement of your student card.

Personal information provided upon your admission to HKU will be used as the basis for establishing your permanent record at the University.  You can view all your personal information at the HKU Portal >> SIS >> “Self Services” >> “Student Centre” >> “Personal Information”.

To ensure that you can continue to receive notices and information from the University without undue delay, you should keep your personal information in SIS up-to-date.  If you need to change your addresses and phone numbers, please go to the HKU Portal >> SIS >> “Self Service” >> “Change Contact Information”.  If you need to change your personal information other than addresses and phone numbers, you should complete the “Change of Personal Particulars” form and submit it with documentary evidence to the Academic Services Office (Room G-04, Run Run Shaw Building).

If you are contemplating withdrawal from your study, please consult your Academic Adviser or the administrative coordinator of your programme to discuss your options before doing so.

A student who wants to withdraw from the University officially must complete the “Withdrawal of Study” Form and return it to our General Office.  Upon withdrawal from the University, you are required to surrender the Student Registration Card and locker key (if any) to our General Office.  Only those who have completed the formal procedures for withdrawal and have settled all outstanding accounts will be entitled to receive a refund of caution money.

You should note that you are liable to pay the annual composition fee despite your withdrawal from studies at any time during the academic year.  Withdrawal from study does not remove the need to settle any outstanding financial payments or financial aid obligations due to the University or financial aid office(s).

If you have any concerns or questions regarding your academic performance during the course of your study, you should approach your Academic Adviser or our office staff for advice as soon as possible.  Please refer to Academic Advice for more information.

Counselling and Person Enrichment (CoPE) Section of the Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS) has a drop-in counselling service.  The counsellor on-duty will talk to students who are in need on first come, first served basis.

Drop-in counselling Service

Room 408 – 424, 4/F, Meng Wah Complex, Main Campus, HKU.
Monday to Friday: 2:00pm – 5:00pm (except public or university holidays)

A transcript is a student’s full academic record in this University.  It may be issued to a student on application and upon payment of the prescribed fees.  You may need this for scholarship or postgraduate programme applications.

A testimonial is an official document which certifies the qualification awarded to a student or the programme he/she is studying.  Unlike transcript, it does not give details of the individual courses studied and/or completed and is usually used to attest the student status for such purposes as job hunting or sitting public examinations (e.g. TOEFL).

Further details and application forms for transcript / testimonial are available at Academic Support and Admissions Section >> Student Records.

Please be reminded that the processing time for transcript / testimonial application is 10 working days (excluding Saturday, Sunday and public holidays).  So if you need to submit the transcript / testimonial to other party, you should consider the processing time and apply well in advance.

You may complete the "Request for Official Certification of my Class Ranking" form and return it to our General Office for processing.  Please note that it is our departmental policy that students can apply for the certification of ranking only once in an academic year.  The processing time is about four weeks and you should apply well in advance if you need to submit the certification of ranking to other party.

By the end of each academic year, the top 10% of LLB students of the cohort (ranked by YGPA) are recommended by the Board of Examiners to be included in the Dean’s Honours list.

Every year HKU offers hundreds of scholarship to support current students to realize their potential and goals during their studies at the University.  There are scholarships for recognizing academic merit; for supporting students to join experiential learning or exchange programmes; for supporting student development initiatives; for supporting financially disadvantaged students; and many more.  You can apply for scholarships which are advertised via emails and on the HKU Portal.

In addition to University scholarships, there are scholarships administered by the Faculty for only law students, with various purposes and selection criterion.  Applications would be invited via email.

  • Baker & McKenzie Scholarship
  • Des Voeux Chambers Junior Scholarships
  • DLA Piper Scholarship
  • Hogan Lovells Scholarship in Law
  • Holman Fenwick & Willan Scholarship for Student Exchange
  • HKU LLB3 Scholarships
  • Madam Lau Kit Fong (Sau Chee) Memorial Scholarship
  • Mayer Brown JSM Scholarship for LLB Students
  • Mr Alan Leong S.C.’s Chambers Scholarships in Public Law
  • Reed Smith Richards Butler Penelope Chan Chu Ling Memorial Scholarship
  • Reed Smith Richards Butler Scholarships
  • The Taolin Memorial Scholarships
  • The University of Hong Kong Law Alumni Association Scholarship

There are 33 prizes available in the Faculty of Law.  Most of them are subject prizes meaning that students who achieved the best performance in particular courses would be nominated for prizes automatically. For prizes with otherwise selection criterion, applications would be invited via email.

  • APAA Prize in Issues in Intellectual Property Law or in Copyright Law
  • Baker and McKenzie Prize in Business Associations
  • Baker and McKenzie Prize in Commercial Law
  • Bernard Downey Book Prizes
  • Bloomsbury Book Prize in Law and Society
  • C H Leong Prize in Medico-Legal Issues
  • Chan Kai Ming Prize
  • Deacons Prize in Law
  • Eric Au Prize in The Use of Chinese in Law
  • F Zimmern & Co Prize in Legal System
  • Freshfields Prize in Legal Skills
  • Gallant Y T Ho & Company Prize in Introduction to PRC Law
  • Helen A Lo Prize in Principles of Family Law
  • Ho Fook Prize
  • Holman Fenwick & Willan Law Prize in Law of Contract I & II and Law of Tort I & II
  • Hong Kong Trustee Association Prize in Equity and Trusts
  • Hong Kong University Alumni Prize
  • IFA Prize in Taxation on Income
  • Jerome Chan Memorial Prize for the Law of Evidence
  • Kenny Wong and Alice Lee – Sweet & Maxwell Prize in Intellectual Property Law
  • LexisNexis Book Prize for Legal Research Skills
  • Mayer Brown JSM Prize in Law of Tort I & II
  • Norton Rose Prize in Competition Law
  • Peter Willoughby Medal and Memorial Prize in Tax Law
  • Peter Willoughby Memorial Prize for Criminal Law I & II
  • Peter Willoughby Memorial Prize for Property Law I & II
  • Privacy Commissioner Prize in Privacy and Data Protection Law
  • Rowdget W Young Medal in Law
  • Simon K Y Lee Medal in Law
  • The Institute of Seatransport Prize in Carriage of Goods by Sea
  • The Linklaters Prize for Overall Excellence in Law: Year I
  • The Linklaters Prize for Overall Excellence in Law: Year II
  • Tse Cheuk Ng Tai Prize in Environmental Law

Plagiarism is defined as the unacknowledged use, as one’s own, of work of another person, whether or not such work has been published.  In writing coursework assignments and final examinations, it is extremely important to bear in mind the rules pertaining to plagiarism.  Plagiarism is a very serious academic offence and the University does not allow or tolerate plagiarism.  Any student who commits plagiarism is liable to disciplinary action which can result in serious consequences – including expulsion from the University.

You are strongly advised to read the booklets What is Plagiarism and Plagiarism and How to Avoid It, and Student Pamphlet for First Year Undergraduate Student >> “Disciplinary Matters” >> “Plagiarism and Academic Integrity”.  You should also consult your teachers if you have any questions about how to avoid plagiarism.

Important: Attendance in lectures / tutorials / seminars is compulsory.  You may be deprived of the right to take the examination at the end of the year if you repeatedly fail to attend class without a satisfactory reason.

If you need to be absent from class (lectures, tutorials, or any other scheduled teaching) for a legitimate reason, you must seek the teachers’ permissions in advance or as soon as possible thereafter if advance notice cannot be given.  Please read “Student Pamphlet for First Year Undergraduate Student” >> “Disciplinary Matters” >> “Attendance at Tutorials / Seminars”, and submit your applications to teachers accordingly.

If you need to apply for leave of absence for your exchange study, please refer to “Student Pamphlet for First Year Undergraduate Student” >> “Exchange Programmes” >> “Study Plan and Leave of Absence” for further instructions on application.

8. University Resources for Students

The University of Hong Kong Libraries consists of the Main Library and six specialist branch libraries:

  • Fung Ping Shan Library
  • Yu Chun Keung Medical Library
  • Dental Library
  • Education Library
  • Lui Che Woo Law Library
  • Music Library

Besides offering a congenial environment for study and research, the Libraries also provide a wide range of information resources including a comprehensive collection of books, journals, audio-visual materials and a rapidly expanding collection of article databases, e-books, e-journals, e-news.  Many of these electronic resources are available on the web by authenticated access.

CEDARS exists to provide students with support during their time at HKU and to help them make the most of their educational experience.  Specifically, the centre provides guidance and assistance in financial matters, accommodation, disability issues, visas, and student activities, and can give advice on any aspect of campus life generally. The centre works with other support units to promote students’ physical, social, emotional and environmental well-being.

CEDARS has launched the First Year Experience website which aims to be a quick one-stop information hub to help you understand more about learning at HKU, adapt to university life and make better use of HKU’s support services, meet your learning buddies and develop academic / personal goals.  While the "First Year at HKU" brochures were distributed during Registration Days to new students, the First Year Experience website is updated from time to time to provide the latest news and information to all students.

The Campus Life Section of CEDARS provides students with guidance and assistance in financial matters, accommodation, disability issues, visas, student activities and general concerns.  It also works with other support units to promote students’ physical, social, emotional and environmental well-being.

The Careers and Placement Section of CEDARS helps students prepare for a career after graduation. Important notices such as workshops for enhancing students’ job hunting skills, recruitment talks by employers, full-time / part-time / temporary employment vacancies are available on its website and on notice boards around campus.  Students may also identify their tentative career objective and discuss their concerns at one-to-one consultation sessions with one of the Honorary Career Advisers, all of whom are former senior business executives working for HKU on a voluntary basis.

CEDARS – Counselling and Person Enrichment (CoPE) promotes attitudes and skills that are necessary for students’ success in the university environment and in the pursuit of productive, satisfying and psychologically healthy lives.  It offers counselling and accessibility support, as well as various person enrichment programmes.  Students can make appointments to meet with their counsellors for discussing their problems or seeking guidance to discover their personal attributes and strengths.  In case of crisis and Emergency, CoPE also has Drop in Counselling Service for students who want to talk to a counsellor immediately or urgently:

Drop-in counselling Service

Room 408 – 424, 4/F, Meng Wah Complex
Monday to Friday: 2:00pm – 5:00pm (except public or university holidays)
The counsellor on-duty will talk to students who are in need on first come, first served basis.

CEDARS-Student Development (SD) Section supports the University’s educational goal of whole-person education and nurtures students to become contributing members of the community through a variety of leadership, volunteer and training activities outside the classroom.

All entitled students may use the University Health Service (UHS).

Students with physical disability affecting mobility, sight or hearing etc. should report to the UHS and CEDARS so that assessment could be made for the need of special assistance during their time at the University.

The following services are provided by UHS:

  1. Medical primary care at the 2/F, Meng Wah Complex with notional charges.
  2. Comprehensive dental service at 3/F, Meng Wah Complex at competitive charge.
  3. Preventive service such as Travel Health Clinic, Wellness Clinic, Well Woman Clinic, Hepatitis Clinic and immunizations at a charge.
  4. Physiotherapy on the referral of UHS physicians with nominal charge.
  5. Health education in the form of individual advice, classes / workshops, exhibitions, web information, posters and pamphlets.

If necessary, students may be referred for specialist consultation and hospital care in the public specialist clinic and public wards of Hospital Authority hospitals.

**All non-local students are advised to purchase medical insurance to cover the cost of specialist consultation and hospitalization.

Contact no.: 2859 2501 (for general enquiry) /

2549 4686 (for medical appointment) /

2859 2510 (for dental appointment)

Web appointment: Please click here for details.

The Institute of Human Performance (IHP) offers a Sport and Recreation Programme called Uni-Sports to students during term time and summer months.  This programme aims to introduce students to the benefits of physical activity and to introduce, develop and provide opportunities for participation in leisure-time activities and skills for current and post-graduation physical activity.  Courses are offered in a wide range of activities for which qualified instruction and equipment are provided at a nominal fee to students.

IHP also provides competitive opportunities in sports through the inter-hall and inter-faculty competitions and through the activities of the 24 sports clubs and University teams that are organised by the Sports Association of the Student's Union and supported by the IHP through the provision of coaching, facilities and subsidies.  University teams compete in events organised by the University Sports Federation of Hong Kong, China and other inter-varsity competitions.

Apart from offering sports and fitness activities, IHP also manages the following sports facilities:

  • Flora Ho/Lindsay Ride Sports Centres (located at Pokfulam Road; for indoor and outdoor sports)
  • Stanley Smith Swimming Pool (located at Pokfulam Road)
  • Stanley Ho Sports Centre (located at Sandy Bay; for outdoor sports and athletics)
  • Henry Fok Swimming Pool (located at Sandy Bay)
  • Tennis Courts at Robert Black College, High West and Sandy Bay

Facilities are normally available for Individual Booking and Group Booking when they are not in use for teaching, training, competition or external bookings.

The Information Technology Services (ITS) provides comprehensive information technology services with a state-of-the-art networking environment to support teaching, learning, research and administration.  Its facilities include an advanced network, powerful central servers, high-performance computer (HPC) clusters and distributed PC laboratories, and its services include HKU Portal services, learning management system “Moodle” and web-based administrative applications.

ITS has a number of central PC laboratories for use by students and staff members.  A wide variety of the latest PC software packages, including word processing, web page design, graphical and multimedia tools, and statistical analysis are available on the PCs.  Laser printing services are also provided in the laboratories at nominal charges.

The HKU Global Lounge is an international centre that fosters intellectual exchange and a venue for HKU students to showcase their multi-cultural talents.  Since opening its doors in November 2005, the Global Lounge has been received successfully among students and a wide range of collaborators.  It serves as a platform for cultural diversity elements that the University proudly embodies following its continued growth in international student population.  Through providing a venue for all types of interactions, informal gatherings, and multi-cultural and international activities such as cultural nights, exhibitions, and concerts to take place, the Global Lounge has offered a unique experience to HKU students and has established itself as a hub of students' social and cultural life at HKU.

The Centennial Campus has at its heart the Chi Wah Learning Commons.  Spread over two whole floors, this 6,000m2 of space represents a revolutionary change of learning experience of the 21st Century – from teacher-oriented to student-oriented learning.

The Learning Commons is a space for study, discussion, information access and learning assistance.  But it is much more than a library.  While there are quiet areas for study, there are ample spaces for eating, drinking, group discussion and the use of AV facilities.  You can gain access to library materials and digital resources, and study and conduct research in a comfortable and interactive manner.  This highly collaborative and interactive space can accommodate up to 2,000 people, and some areas will be opened 24 hours a day.

There are 25 Study Rooms at the Learning Commons, which students can reserve in advance for studying and discussion.

shuttle bus service between the dental campus, main campus, medical campus, student halls and the sports Centres is available to students and the fare is $2. Octopus cards may be used. Alternatively, tickets are obtainable at the Finance and Enterprises Office. The bus time-tables are publicised periodically on the University website by the Estates Office.